How about a nose hair trimmer as a Christmas gift for a man friend? It may sound a little weird, but in fact it is highly practical, and may be much more appreciated that a box of chocolates or a necktie.
Amazon provides a list of gift ideas in many diverse categories. Here are some of the suggestions in the hair trimmers and clippers category, with a few excerpts from customer reviews.
1. Panasonic ER-GN30-K Vortex Wet/Dry Nose and Facial Hair Trimmer – …lightweight, portable and both easy to use and easy to clean. My expectation is that it should last at least 2-3 years (Panasonic recommends replacing the blade every three years). If the model doesn’t hold up, I’ll report back the findings. Until then, I recommend this as an affordable and safer option than poking nose and aural cavities with a pair of sadistic scissors.
2. Wahl 5537-1801 Cordless Battery Operated Beard Trimmer with Bonus Ear, Nose and Brow Trimmer (picture) – I am a lifetime beard grower, and have had many different trimmers, and I happened to buy a Wahl one day, and it’s outlasted all my other big name trimmers, and I totally mistreated it and abused it, and it still trims like a dream. So I decided when i was looking to update my trimming kit to look at some Wahl Trimmers, and i was not disappointed; it’s plastic and feels light but it does the job, and it does it the first time. It comes with everything I needed, and the cradle held everything pretty well. The instructions included are very useful as well.
3. Wahl Trimmer All-In-One Lithium Ion – Pros: Powerful motor. Keeps its charge. Feels solid. Standard Wahl narrow blade head good for precise trims. Cons: Too many accessories! A better design could keep it more simple. Standard Wahl narrow blade head not as good for faster trims.
4. Wahl 9918-6171 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer – I have been using a Wahl beard trimmer for nearly 6 years. It finally started to show its age and I went looking for a new one. I tried Remington brand, and they just did not work for me. I have very thick, stubborn hair and the Remmington’s blades did not get close enough to my skin to get the hairs I wanted. So I went back to what I knew worked, and re-ordered a new Wahl Beard Trimmer. This one is very similar to my old one, except a few new things. There are more blade guards than before, and the clipper setting now has 6 stages instead of 5. Otherwise, the trimmer is the same.
And that is a good thing. Immediately, the new Wahl made a difference and I am very happy with the results. The reason why Wahl is so much better than anything else (including the Remington) is that the blades that move back and forth are so much closer to the guard teeth that you can see the difference. Go to a store and look…you can see the difference between this trimmer and other brands. The Wahl will always cut closer and better. There is no other brand I would recommend – Wahl trimmers are simply the highest quality you can find in this price range that give the closest trim on your face.
5. Andis Company Silver Clipper Haircutting Kit – 19 Pieces (18645) – I have never heard of this brand before, so I gave a try. Well I love it!! It cuts hair like its butter. Smooth and fast. Easy to use. I recommend this item to everyone. (But note that this product has a higher-than-average number of negative reviews.)
6. Remington MB-200 Titanium Mustache and Beard Trimmer – I was looking for a cheap trimmer for my beard, which I usually keep pretty short. I bought this without seeing it in a store. I think I had seen that it had good reviews here, and it was under thirty bucks, which I figured was a good limit for something that is only going to last so long. I didn’t need anything fancy. I got exactly what I was looking for, but I’m surprised how well it works. There aren’t any parts that seem like they’ll fall apart, and it’s got a great feel in the hand. I like the action on it a lot. My first trim was immediately better and much quicker then the previous trimmer I had (which had died on me). I think this is a great deal for someone who needs an occasional shave of a beard. I really like it. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done very well. I can’t think of how it would be better.